Sunday, April 25, 2010

The children write to Maj. Gillham

In today's post are three short letters that are not from Frances but from the three "big girls" at 992 Washita, Emily, Monty and Margaret.  The envelope is postmarked February 4, and Emily dates her letter the same.  Keep in mind that Martha's first birthday was on February 2.  Also, this seems to be the letter where the girls all enclose their foot tracing for Maj. Gillham, as he had requested in an earlier letter.  For those of you that have forgotten, Margaret is the 5-year-old daughter of Frances' sister Bryant.

2/4/46

Dear Daddy,

I am enclosing my foot print and my dress length.

I do thank you for the stamp dolls.  I have a lot of fun with them.

Martha looks so sweet in her kimono and hat.

I miss you very much.

Lots of love,

Emily

**********************

Dear Daddy,

Martha is a year old.  Thanks for the dolls.  Flip-Flop gets plenty to eat.

Love,

Frances Gillham

**********************

Dear Uncle Bill,

Here is my foot print.

I were tol s my White P Plains

Love,

Margaret Moore


*************************

Monty's full name is Frances Montague Gillham, and so she uses her official name to sign the letter.  As I recall, her teacher at the Highland School on North Avenue made her use the name Frances, so she was probably in the habit of writing "Frances" in cursive.

The second sentence in Margaret's letter is a head-scratcher, but I believe she was trying to say something along the lines of "I went to see my White Plains relatives."  Her father, Carl Moore, was born and raised in White Plains in Greene County, Georgia, about 60 miles east of Atlanta.


No comments: