Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Frances' "crisis" letter, and a real follow-up letter

Today there are two letters, both sent in the same envelope and dated the same.  The first is the letter that Maj. Gillham will use to hopefully convince the Army that he and Frances should talk on the telephone.  The second is a "real" follow-up letter.  She almost overplays her hand, and, frankly, if I were the one making the decision, the second letter would be the one to cinch it for me.

Jan. 30, 1946

Darling,

I hate to bother you with all my problems.  I have tried to solve them all myself, but I have encountered one now that has me stumped.  I just have to get your advice on it.  In fact, I have two.

The first one is about your Mother's finances.  You had me appointed power of attorney.  I sent a copy to her bank, but the bank hasn't acknowledged it nor sent me any check blanks.  I have written to them repeatedly.  I have to pay her taxes before February 15 and the only money available is in her bank account.  What shall I do?  Should I see a lawyer?  I can't get away to go up there as we've had so much sickness here at home.

Is there any way you can advise me quickly so I can get things working before the taxes become delinquent?

The second one is about the landlady we had in Monterey.  She has sent me a threatening letter that I owe her over $40.00.  She says that she will send your C.O. a letter if I don't pay it immediately.  I know I don't owe it to her, but I don't know what to do about it.  Should I send the letter on to you to handle or should I go to a lawyer?

Please let me hear from you as soon as possible.  All this trouble is real and pressing.  I wish I could just talk to you.  You always explain things so well to me, darling.

Frances

***************************

Jan. 30, 1946

Darling,

How does that sound?  I hope it will do, for I'd surely love to hear your voice again.  It will be next best to seeing you, dearest.  I am beginning to look ahead to the end of our separation with increasing interest.  Life without you is no life at all.  It is a day's work and a night's sleep now.  Twenty four hours less to wait for your return.  With you here, a day's work is pleasure, because at the end is your return and a delightful night's sleep.

Enclosed are some pictures I took.  I don't know what caused the blurriness, because objects around the children are in focus.

I bought some more film and will take some Saturday on Martha's birthday.  Just think, one year ago!

I love you, dearest,

Frances

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize that taxes used to be due on Feb. 15th. I wonder when that changed. Martha Waskey

Russell Caldwell said...

Tax Day was March 15 from 1918 to 1955, when it was changed to April 15. Perhaps she was talking about Effie's property tax, which would have probably been due on a different day.