Monday, July 12, 2010

Frances and Bryant take up a cause

We have another several scan treats in today's post.  Actually, the letter itself is dated March 16, but the enclosures are dated March 15, so it may be a bit out of order with the rest of the blog.  Frances wrote her letter on the back of a typewritten draft of a letter Bryant had written to Helen Douglas Mankin, the U.S. representative from their district.

Also enclosed is a draft of a letter from Frances to Wright Bryan, a writer at the Atlanta Journal and a friend of Margaret Mitchell's.  He also later became a friend of our good friend Jerry Reel at Clemson, and I got to meet him several times.  He wrote the (to date) definitive history of Clemson University and signed my copy of his book.

In Emily's letter, the blank space was in her actual letter.  I suppose she was going to go back and fill in what it was her dad sent her, and she never did. 

March 15, 1946

Dearest Lovely,

Here is a copy of Bryant's letter to Mrs. Mankin, the new representative, about the mail collapse.  Bryant is a registered voter and is most interested in writing letters for causes.  It pleased her exceedingly that I let her write the letter.  Also enclosed is a copy of my letter to the Journal.  I hope these efforts can help to bring about an alleviation of the mail trouble.

The letters I received today were the first in over two weeks and they were mailed on Feb. 8.

I am glad you received the pictures.  I, too, hope you can get home before I pass my prime.  When I have days like today, I feel as if I have passed my prime and reached my nadir.

I had Mrs. Lozier get ready to drive to Memphis with me this morning.  I had the car greased and oil changed.  I ironed most of the children's clothes and had suit cases almost packed to go when Emily came down last night with a fever of 102.  Monty broke out with splotches all over her face.

I called Elizabeth and told her.  She was sweet as she always is and said for me just to try to come next weekend.

Today I sort of drifted around nursing and cooking, etc.  Martha has been climbing down the steps for just a few weeks.  Today when she was halfway down, she slipped somehow and tumbled the rest of the way down.  Once was bad enough, but twice in one day was the last straw for me.  She hit her lip and it is puffed out.  Her nose bled and she has two terrible bruises on her forehead.

If your four letters had not arrived today to cheer me up, I guess I would have cried.  The letters were so nice and ever so sweet.  They made me realize again what a wonderful partner you are.  You always are lending a hand when I need it most.

The postal money order came today.  I cashed it and am tempted to spend most of it on some clothes because I need them and they would boost my morale at this point.  You are always thinking of us.  I just love you for it.

Monty received your letter with the insignia on it.  She was delighted.  Emily's letter containing the first order from MacArthur came, too.  She was pleased with it.  You know how to select appropriate gifts.

Elizabeth received a letter from her brother, Marshall Brandon.  He is in Tokyo and gets his meals at the Dai Ichi Hotel.  He is billeted several blocks away, but eats at your hotel until his mess hall is completed.  This is his address:

T/S Marshall Brandon 14203429
Co. H, 1st Bn Hq + Sr Gp.
GHQ AFPAC APO #500

He is the boy I tried to locate at Fort Ord.  He is about 19 years old.

I have been reading with much interest about the new island growing in the ocean just south of Tokyo.  Wouldn't it be fine if you had an aviator friend who could fly you over to see it?

Much love,

Frances

************************

March 15, 1946
Atlanta, GA

Dear Daddy,

We were going to Memphis today but I got sick.  So mother is going by herself on the train tomorrow.

Thanks a lot for the beautiful            you sent me.

Martha fell down the stairs twice today.  She got two bumps on her head and bumped her lip.

I hope you come home soon.  I love you very much.

Love,

Emily

************************

Here are the draft letters typed by Frances and Bryant.  The final line on Bryant's letter ("Yours truly,") was typed on the back of the page, and Frances hand wrote her letter to Maj. Gillham below that.  Remember to click on the images to get a larger image.


Bryant's letter



Frances' letter

No comments: