Wednesday, December 21, 2011


For a change of pace, we read a letter from Bryant Holsenbeck Moore, Frances' sister, whose husband, Carl, a Marine, has returned to his base at Camp Lejeune, NC.  Bryant has gone up to be with him, and she writes this letter from there.  Their daughter, Margaret (nicknamed Goober), had lived at 992 Washita while Bryant was there and was staying there with her Aunt Frances when this letter was written.


April 17, 1946


Dear Bill,

Frances writes that you have sent some more lovely things -- among those being a kimono for Goober and a string of pearls for me.

Really, Bill, I have never known anyone to be as generous and thoughtful as you.  I blush to think that I never wrote you at Christmas, thanking you for your remembrances in your box for Margaret and me.

Then that attractive lunch box, idol and owl you sent Margaret for her birthday pleased her to no end.  She proudly tool her treasures to school to display to her teacher and friends.  I suppose you know she appropriated a pair of "clogs" you sent.

And the pajamas yous sent me are such a heavenly blue color.

I am anxiously looking forward to the pearls and to seeing the kimono you sent Margaret.

We have thoroughly enjoyed all of the thing you have been sending.  Also, at times, when Frances wants us to read them, parts of your highly interesting letters.  Those you wrote from Hiroshima were particularly interesting and historical.  You seem to have the knack for sensing and for seeing the interesting and historical.  I couldn't help getting a feeling of desolation from the letters and pictures of Hiroshima.

Carl has been back almost three weeks -- here a Lejeune almost two weeks.  He brought the outfit back and has practically gotten rid of everyone in it.  This particular outfit is to be kept active, but for the time being only on paper.  Carl hopes for a relief this week.  Then we go on leave for a month and then maybe back here for duty.  If we are here this summer, and if you are still gone, we are hoping Frances and the children will come to see us.  If you should return, of course, we want you to come.  Maybe we could arrange for the children to stay with us while you and Frances take a trip.

Azeeta called me the other day -- my former maid.  She wanted to know if we wanted her to work for us!!  Here we sit with a maid available and no house in which to use her!

By the grapevine via Azeeta concerning gossip and news about Carl and his colored troops -- his men said, "He doesn't talk much, but when he does, he spellbinds you -- like Mrs. Roosevelt."  "He is the Great White Father."  "If all the C.O.'s were like Col. Moore, we would re-enlist."  (There is a scarcity of Negro Marines shipping out.)  Well, that's the gossip and I have had loads of fun kidding Carl about it all.

We made a trip to Washington the other day.  I went by and paid my respects to Mrs. Markin, the congresswoman Frances and I wrote concerning mail overseas.

Bill, I am sorry you and Carl had to be separated from your families, but because of it Frances and I have really gained a rich understanding of each other which I highly treasure.  And Margaret has gotten to know her nice cousins.

Also, I like a friend of yours, met thru Frances -- Mr. K.W.

Thanks ever so much for all of the lovely things you have been sending us.

Love,

Bryant

No comments: