Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Maj. Gillham's eldest daughter, Emily, wrote him a letter and mailed it off herself. She is 10 years old and in the fourth grade at the Highland School on North Avenue. After she signed her letter, she wrote EHG (her middle name is Helen).


992 Washita Ave.
Atlanta, Ga.
April 10, 1946

Dear Daddy,

I think the spring is a beautiful time of the year, don't you? Here in Atlanta the dogwood are so pretty that the city has special buses for people to look at it in. Atlanta also has some beautiful azalea gardens.

Now how about Japan? Are the cherry blossoms in bloom?

Martha is growing very fast. She tries to do everything we do. Today I was trying on some dresses I got out of the trunk, singing all the time. When I looked around, Martha was trying to put on my skirt while singing.

Do come home soon.

Much, much love,

Emily (EHG)


No comments: