Saturday, May 22, 2010

The boxes from Robles arrive at 992 Washita

Today Frances answers some of the letters that she has just received from Nikko.  I am also including a short letter from Emily which was mailed in a separate envelope but was dated the same as Frances' letter.

Feb. 18, 1946

Dearest My Love,

Today I received three letters from you and so I feel just wonderful!  Two of them were written at the rest camp.  One told of your experience on skis when nature called you.  Poor dear!  I really felt for you, but I certainly enjoyed a good laugh out of the story.  I'd have laughed so hard if I had been there that you would have had to pull me out of the snow.

Well, I am glad you received the second Christmas box finally.  All I can remember that I sent was the calendar.  I had so much fun thinking up things to put on the pages.

Maybe you should go around with George Bull and see Japan!  However, I can't imagine his being a better sightseer than you.

Aren't you smart!  I'm proud of you writing so well that the Chief of Staff used your sentences complete.  I think they are intelligent men to recognize your ability.  I just wish Dad could have known about your work.  He would have enjoyed knowing you had developed so well in that way.

The stuff came today.  I have my things cluttering up my room again!  I was able to put around the house, two pieces in the basement, two on the back porch -- the big box and the old trunk -- your two gas mask boxes in the attic, and the footlockers in the hall and in the bedroom.

I used the washing machine today.  I have to arrange some way to drain the rinse tub as I don't have it our of doors and I miss your nice drain pipe.

The pictures you sent were interesting.  We've enjoyed looking at them.  Have you ever received the two rolls of film I sent you?

Martha's box contained a darling little Japanese girl with writing equipment, the tiger with the wobbly head, and the cap.  Also, her kimono arrived.

I am delighted that you have mailed Margaret a birthday present.  You are smart.

All my love,

Frances

P.S. I guess I'll have to read "Pastures of Heaven" to see what you are talking about.  It interests me.  FHG

*******************

February 18, 1946

Dear Daddy,

How are you getting along with your skiing?  It sounds very interesting.

Today at school we got a new arithmetic book.  It is very modern and easy to understand.

Sunday we went to North Fulton Park and played.  We had a wonderful time.

At Sunday school a man showed us some slides of Mexico.  He went down there for Christmas.  The slides showed the celebration of Christmas in Mexico.

Lots of love,

Emily Gillham

No comments: