Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Goings-on at 992 Washita

Another chatty, newsy letter from Frances, with a sense of urgency in the air now that Maj. Gillham is definitely on his way home.  She mentions Flip-Flop, the family's black cocker spaniel, who, unfortunately, has taken to behaving badly.  He was Maj. Gillham's (and Monty's) prize pet and lived until the early 1950s.


May 1, 1946

Dearest Darling,

Since you wrote that there is a good possibility that you may be home within a month, the days have crept along at a snail's pace for me.  I've tried not to think about your return too much until I hear something definite from you, but my heart seems to rule my mind.  I have missed you every day since you left, but lately, the missing has been greater.  I think that it won't be long before I see you and then each day passes so slowly that it seems like a year.

Did you enjoy your trip with Wilson to inspect the power plant?  How is your arthritis?  What does the doctor say about getting you over here for hospitalization?

Last night Carl, Bryant and I went to see Mr. and Mrs. K.W. Bryant wanted Carl to meet him.  Carl liked him very much.  I spent the evening talking to Mrs. Weisinger, as she is quite deaf and doesn't enter into a general conversation.

Mr. K.W. asked me if I could do some volunteer work a Fernbank this summer and I told him that I could if I could take the children out there with me. He highly approved of that!

I think Martha is cutting a new tooth this week.  Gee, I hope she finishes cutting the majority of them before you get here.  She has such a hard time getting them through.

This morning she has been having a lovely time playing with the little black dog you sent with the binoculars.  She is now inspecting a little magazine with as much dexterity as Margaret.  Yesterday she went with us to dancing.  You should have seen her trying to dance.

Flip-Flop has become the terror of the neighborhood.  He growls at the casual passer-by, barks and snaps at the milkman, postman and the paper boy.  They are all scared of him.  We are getting a terrible reputation around here.

Two more bonds have arrived, January's and February's.  Before long, we will catch up and be even and they will come on time.

All my love to the dearest sweetheart in the world.

Frances


**********************


Frances writes today's letter on stationery she got from the Hotel Richmond in Augusta, which was one of four in the Barringer hotel chain.  The chain was run by Charles Barringer, who named the flagship hotel in Charlotte after his father, William R. Barringer, a hotelier himself.

No comments: