Wednesday, May 5, 2010

An earnest letter from Maj. Gillham about their relationship

Today we have a very personal letter from Maj. Gillham to Frances, one that would probably be tough to edit for the kids, since there wouldn't be much letter left that they would find interesting.  It seems that the phase of novelty and discovery about Japan is starting to wane and Maj. Gillham (and Frances) are becoming increasingly more interested in the end game and their future lives together back in the states.

Tokyo
7 Feb 1946

Dearest Darling,

I can't get much correspondence done because every time I sit down to write, I always write to you.  I start thinking about you and a thousand thoughts race through my head that I want to convey to you.  Writing is such a slow, laborious process that I never get them all down and spend about two days talking to you -- and then stay there and keep on talking to you.  You have a sympathy, understanding and appreciation that I find in no one else.  I used to be able to talk to Dad that way some, but ou are the only other person.  I have the little proof picture of you before me on my miniature writing desk at all times.  It helps me to remember how pretty you are.  During long separations like this people are apt to build dream pictures of each other and then be let down when reality returns.  I am speaking now of behavior more than looks.  I feel confident that you and I have been through enough together to avoid a silly pitfall like that.  I believe that any period of instability in our relations has now shaken down and we stand together on a firm foundation of mutual love and understanding.  But don't build me up in your mind too much, for I am just as bad ss ever and will probably make you very angry before we have been together a week.  Now I have no fear of these little thunderstorms, for I know that they are followed by fresh, sparkling sunshine.

Today is cold and dreary.  It has snowed hard all afternoon and is slushy in the streets.  It is good to have a warm, dray place to work and sleep.

When I get several letters from you at once as I did on my return from Nikko, I can't digest them all at once, but have to read them over several times at intervals for two or three days so I can thoroughly enjoy them.  Tonight I read the two magazine articles that you sent.  I enjoyed them thoroughly.  The fact that you sent them to me indicates that you know me pretty well.

Several from our office are leaving.  Capt.  Lehman, who was a very fine gentleman and a good man for whom to work is going to the Eighth Army to become the Inspector General.  It is hard to keep an organization together here now.

I don't think that the obe that I sent you goes well with your kimono.  You don't "select" the things you get here -- you just get what you can when you can.  A Japanese friend has promised to give me an obe the next time I come out to his house.  Maybe it will be better.  A whole rig is neccesary to properly put on an obe.  I don't think you will want to wear one, but I will try to get the accessories just so you will have them.

Lots of love to my sweet, sweet darling.

Bill

No comments: